Saturday, January 8, 2011

The First of My Musings...

Well here's my first post, as I was sitting in a chapel one day I began to think about a question that the speaker posed to us all; "What is a Christian?" He asked us to write a brief description on a 3x5 card and then hand it in. He then later read some of the ones he found interesting. Well, a 3x5 card was not sufficient for the thoughts I had on the topic, and the following is what my thoughts came to:

What exactly is a Christian anyway? In the English language we capitalize it, deeming it important, but isn’t it just a word? This somewhat more important word can get you hurt in some places, imprisoned in others, and in some cases even killed. So I guess this word is important, isn’t it… It wasn’t always this way. It used to be an insult to all those who followed Christ back in His time, this word “Christian” meaning “little Christ”. But is that really a bad thing today? Isn’t it alright, at least here in the US, to be “little Christs”? Well it would be if that was its only definition, but in our day and age we have perverted it into meaning things it was never meant to mean, things such as; any good person, those who go to church, and those who give money to charity. This important word has even been adopted by other religions that don’t see Christ as deity! So now as I think to myself what definition fits this word “Christian” my view is polluted by a sinful world that has changed its meaning. Thus, what is a Christian? A Christian is no longer…


- Acts 11:25-26 Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

- I Peter 4:15-16 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

No comments:

Post a Comment